Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Inspiration and a little exposition



What is this?! It isn't eighteenth century at all! Well, no, it isn't. I enjoy reading a great many blogs, as I'm sure do most of you. This little one started out actually as just a plain paper diary because I LOVE the eighteenth century (France in particular), and I wanted to know what a day in the life of someone might be like. Then it became another day, and another, and somewhere along the line I connected reading blogs and having this diary with posting this diary. Voila!


The picture is of my fiance and I, and yes, I did design and make that dress; but it was so rushed that I was unhappy with the sewing and will never wear it again. In real life I work as a costumer in the theatre world, mostly in opera, which I adore. I just got a puppy, Reinette "Little queen", who is a purebred Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and she keeps me on my toes. I'm finishing my Masters degree in Virginia, and my fiance just started a job in Washington, DC; which is ironic because I just came back from several months working for the opera in DC myself while he was here.


So that's me. I was part of the SCA for a long time, and wish that there were something like that in America for the eighteenth century, especially for those of us who are not really interested in being colonists. Part of the fun is being someone you can't be in real life, right?


As for the inspiration, well, Lauren at American Duchess (who is fabulous!), asked on her blog today what inspires people. People who blog about their interest in the eighteenth century inspire me. I learn so much, and have fun connecting with those who share my passions. Sometimes it's how to do a particular style of wig, or geeking over a great fabric find (even if you don't know what you're going to use it for), or an exhibition that's not to be missed. I learn something new every day, and oftentimes get a laugh out of it as well.


Thanks to everyone who posts, and keep up the great fun! Below are some of my favorite images of the day....

Reinette at 8 weeks old

Can you believe this is made out of sugar?
I collect fans, but this is beyond anything I can afford.

2 comments:

  1. fabulous! thanks for posting! Your Cavalier is SO cute, they're such beautiful little dogs, and very "period accurate," haha. My dog isn't at all period accurate, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess I did choose her breed partially on the "accuracy", but it was also for her temperment. No matter what, dogs are such lovely companions, even when they drive one crazy.

    ReplyDelete

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...