Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Spaniel, Part Deux

Back in February I posted about the spaniel in the 18th century, and since then I have noticed a huge number of portraits that feature them. My attentiveness is probably due to the mind-control exerted by my Queen, Mistress, Owner, puppy; Reinette, "Little Queen". For anyone who hasn't already heard this, "reinette" was the nickname of Madame de Pompadour after a fortune-telller predicted that she would rise to become the mistress of a King.

Some of my favorite portraits:-

Chocolate DrinkersLady at her desk by Boilly

Mme de Pompadour en deshabille by Boucher
Queen Charlotte 1781

2 comments:

  1. Merci pour ces si belles images d'un temps passé ! J'aime ces grandes dames de l'Histoire qui ont fait la grande comme la petite dans le secret des alcôves... J'aime beaucoup la deuxième, avec le livre ouvert. Merci.
    Tatieva, painter to Marie-Antoinette on my blog. ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'est mon plasir! Merci pour votre compliments, je suis content que vous les aime.

    ReplyDelete

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...