Friday, November 11, 2011

Best 18th-century themed movies

I owe you all I good post, not only because I have been so remiss in updating lately, but because I am likely to remain a little less prolific for the next few weeks while I'm working on several shows that open around the same time.

When I'm designing a show I like to put movies on in the background, especially if it's late at night because it makes me feel like someone else is awake. In no particular order (because I just couldn't decide how to rank them) here are my top ten favorite 18th-century inspired films/mini series'.

1) Marie Antoinette (2006)

2) The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934 &2000) Okay, I cheated here, I like them both.

3) The Lady and the Duke (2001)

4) Ridicule (1996)

5) The Duchess (2008)

6) Amazing Grace (2006)

7) Catherine the Great (1995)

8) Dangerous Liasons (1988)

9) Amadeus (1984)

10) The Madness of King George (1994)

Honorable mentions go to Plunkett and Macleane, Perfume, and the HBO series John Adams. So what are your favorites? Any to add to the list?

13 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I really love The Abduction Club. There's something about it that's just perfect comfort watching for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite from your selection is Dangerous Liasons. It's just so very evil (and the costumes are beautiful.) Ofcourse, I also like Marie Atoinette and The Duchess for their amazing clothes.

    Gustav den III:s äktenskap (The Marriage of Gustav III) is my favourite Swedish costume movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That opening sequence with them getting dressed is hard to beat. I had not heard of The Marriage of Gustav III, I will have to see if I can get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some screencaps at 18th century blog.

    Part I: http://18thcenturyblog.com/2007/12/gustav-iii-s-aktenskap

    Part II: http://18thcenturyblog.com/2007/12/gustav-iii-s-aktenskap-part-two

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! This is what I get for not reading back far enough on the blog. Now I have to find the film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahem, ahem. I presume it was on account of mere lapse of memory that the 1991 British film adaptation of my "Clarissa" was not included on this otherwise honorable list.

    S.Richardson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Mr. Richardson, it is on account of not having yet seen the above-mentioned film. I do look forward to it with pleasure, however.

      Delete
  7. Could you recommend one of these for the high school classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing Grace I would think of as being very elucidating without having the debauchery common to many of the other films. Is there a particular country or aspect of the 18th century that you are interested in teaching about?

      Delete
  8. Well my students have seen Amazing Grace so I was trying to find something that does an excellent job giving the "feel' for the 18th century. We are finishing out literary unit and they're struggling to understand the time period so I really want them to see it while also keeping it appropriate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try The Scarlet Pimpernell, or there's also a great series called The Aristocrats, but be sure to watch the episode yourself first as some of them are quiet tame while others have a fair amount of sex.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  9. In the 1988 movie Dangerous Liasons what is she doing on her chest(breast)with that stuff?

    ReplyDelete