Sunday, October 11, 2020

For Your Chateau

 


I am almost done collecting all of the blue and white tiles that I will need for the mantle project, which is getting another round of sanding today since the paint and putting from its previous owner was flaking and uneven. Just one more tile, and the one featured in this week's picks is the one I am thinking I will purchase eventually.

I also did finally acquire that new bookcase I so desperately needed for the piles of books in my home. Oh there are still piles of books, despite the now four bookcases (it was five, but one collapsed last year), however now there are fewer piles and one very nice and convenient display in the sitting room. 

I've been familiar with the Sapphire and Sage supplier for many years, as I spent time as a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), but I'm out of the game and was surprised to see this vendor crop up in my Etsy recs. I probably wouldn't be considering the ring shown, except that it is inspired by Queen Elizabeth I's own ring showing the portrait of her mother, Anne Boleyn. I have a former student with whom I remain very close and who has a deep and abiding affection for Tudor history, especially Anne Boleyn, so I may get this for her for Christmas. 

Sadly we have had to cancel our trip to London in December. Stupid Covid. Mayhaps I will give myself the Dicken's London book as a pick-me-up for that disappointment. It's not that expensive.

Last, but not least, I am trying to make some improvements to the dining room, though the majority of it will certainly have to wait until next year. In the meantime I thought I could at least get a nice tablecloth, and of course the finest would be in Irish linen. My mother bought something lovely and similar in Dublin many years ago when we were on holiday, but hers is round and my table is rectangular. My partner suggested recently that we might spend Thanksgiving at home together this year instead of going up to D.C. to his family, so a pleasing tablescape would be very timely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...