Wednesday, October 7, 2020

October 7th, 1786


The chevalier has returned! I note that Emilie has crept out of her room more now that he is here, but he allays all of my fears by showing me great affection and preference. Even the dog seems to rejoice in seeing him again and spends as much time as she may be allowed curled up on his lap. He has also brought with him many delights from Paris; chocolate and silks, and a little silver clock that has figures which dance with the hours. I am at times overwhelmed by his generosity. Moreover I find him gentle with my servants, which is to be noted as I had observed on some occasions that he spoke harshly to his own, but I know not the temperament nor the history of those individuals. Perhaps it was warranted. 

I've informed him of my intent to winter in Riom at Portaberaud, and invited him to join me as well, but his demeanor suggests that he will prefer his own family even as his words do not deny my suit. Two nights hence we conversed on the subject of marriage, but each find the other shy to commit any great expectation to the match. I remain unsure of what I would say should he propose as I would expect that a young man such as he would be interested in the furtherance of his line, but he seems much more inclined to the furtherance of his wealth and entertainments. Paris is for him and this will always divide us. 

No news from Versailles on either the Treaty or from Mme Elisabeth who is, I gather, much engaged with the little princes and princesses at present. She has also been involved with the celebrations of the centenary of St. Cyr, of which I am likewise fond having been at school there myself. A small donation would not be amiss, were I not so concerned with financial needs for Saint Saturnin. The saints will, I'm sure, understand that the temporal being satisfied makes it easier to attend to the spiritual, but this thought is too like those of the chevalier and show his influence. I must work on being as much an influence for him.

-Olympe

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...