Wednesday, June 20, 2012

June 20th, 1782


I was able to convince Mme de Rodez to allow Clementine to accompany me to Portaberaud, but it was dearly purchased as the mother herself is also amongst the party. An entire summer spent in her company might soon cause me to regret the sentiment which moved me to bring them hither. As the court is at Fountainbleu, Clementine's Duke has followed it, and her mother was easily convinced that chasing after him would do more harm than good. A few months separation might make her daughter more precious in his estimation. Now we only have to hope that the opposite is true.
 The one boon which this might provide is to give me every opportunity to speak with Mme de Rodez about her son's unfortunate death and the manner of his passing. The Marquis de F- has retired to his estate at Saint-Martin-du-Tertre, I suspect as much to avoid the expense of following the court as to escape the heat of Paris. He did not, it seems, pay his creditors before he left, as I did mine. This will make it easier to call those debts to account when we return, and in the meantime I shall focus on finding out to whom he owes gambling debts as well. 
Portaberaud always reminds me of pleasant days with Thierry. I hope that he is well, wherever he is. 
Olympe, Comtesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...