Monday, September 28, 2020

September 28th, 1786


I fear my desire for my own company has been made clear to my guest, as Emilie begins to suggest that she will depart rather sooner than originally planned. It could, of course, also be due to the intended arrival of the Chevalier at the beginning of next month, or the changing weather which is always more keenly felt here than in Paris. In truth my hospitality may be somewhat lacking. I have not the means nor the local society in which to entertain in a fashion familiar to the residents of Versailles, so I may hardly blame them for preferring the town to the country. I myself am reveling in this peaceful solitude, which the Chevalier continues to assure me he will well-enjoy in my company, though I know him to enjoy society life far more than I. 

The re-pointing of the chateau may not be able to wait after all this winter, as water damage has made its way into one wall on the northern side. The gardeners are keen to point out as well that the slope on which we sit is falling away more by the road and will likely be damaged significantly should we have a bad winter. This reminds me that time is running short to decide where I will spend the winter this year, as I try not to travel much between the end of October and mid-April. I've come away to my most remote property, and would need to arrange suitable accommodations should I intend on spending the season in Paris, which there is hardly time to do so late now. I might beg of my dear friend Elizabeth Comtesse de R- for the use of her home for a few weeks, but I should hate to outstay my welcome by lingering too long. There's hardly any point in considering anything other than remaining sequestered here, or returning to Riom, or joining the society of Paris once more. I suspect that, knowing myself, I will tire of this seclusion in a month or two, and wish for some company again so I should begin to make plans for a return to my home at Portaberaud. 

In the meantime, I have a letter from the Chevalier to kindle my heart, and a guest to whom I really should pay more courtesy.

-Olympe

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...