Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June 15, 1779



The swatches from my Marchande des Modes arrived today! I spent most of the day delighting in their contents, though as my steward warned me the prices are very high. I think that the best course of action would be to have only a few new things made up in advance of the journey and to order the rest when I arrive. I will also have several of my old gowns made into new polonaises, as those are easily done and very fashionable.
I have already sent another order for my mantelet au lever and a new quilted petticoat. I decided once I saw the swatch board to have it made in a beautiful cream silk embroidered in pink and green flowers, as I have a fondness for that color combination. It will be trimmed in a lovely wide, soft blonde lace, double edged sheer passementerie, and green velvet ribbon.

I requested that the quilted petticoat be made in cream with pink stitching, and should feature a dusty pink ruffle on the bottom half. I become cold so easily, and will be in town for the fall and at least through the New Year celebrations, so I need as many warm articles of clothing as possible.

My court gown will be in red and gold, as those are the colors of the family crest, but the exact fabric and trims have not yet been chosen. I think that’s one of the things I will have made to suit once I arrive, so that I may take full advantage of seeing the latest fashions. I will request a traveling costume, but wait on the new hunting costume as I do not expect to participate in that activity too promptly.

The day, though rainy, involved much merriment. The evening brought cards, dancing, and far too much champagne and wine from the estate. Robert Saint Mikkael returned this afternoon, and brought with him a letter in which he profusely apologized and pledged himself to expiating his breach of conduct. Finding him genuinely remorseful I see no reason to be unkind, though I will not seek to spend much time alone with him.

I am very happy tonight, and thank God for all that providence has blessed me with.
Olympe, Comtesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...