Tuesday, June 30, 2009

May 19, 1779

Rose at 9:30 this morning and took breakfast with my hostess and some other guests who arrived back from a visit to a local lake late last night. I heard the carriages pull up with their occupants sometime after midnight, but did not get out of bed to look.

After breakfast I was shown around the estate, which is small but comfortable, much like my quarters. It does boast a winery which I think I will visit again tomorrow. Made a pleasant acquaintance in Jacqueline D’Orsay, niece by marriage of the Comte D’Orsay; as well as Colette Maupassin, and Jeanne D’Eglantine. Jacqueline and I spent most of the day together talking; she about her two deceased husbands and her beloved black hunting hound, Lucille, whom she is rarely without.

Dinner was served at 3:30 and showed a distinctly German influence, and was fairly provincial. I read in my room until after 5 and then dressed, and accompanied everyone into town for a small theatrical performance, which was tolerable. There was afterwards talk of putting on a small theatrical amusement of our own, as they do at Trianon; but it remains to be seen what comes of that.

Returned, exhausted, at 11 to find my room both dark and cold. After a brief conversation with Marianne everything was arranged appropriately and a bath filled for me, very hot as I like it, and very quickly as I was not in a mood to wait still longer. Managed another letter to my Steward while enjoying some biscuits, and received a note from Jacqueline suggesting I meet her for luncheon tomorrow afternoon. Will retire after writing this, and hope that tonight I am warmer and sleep more soundly than the last.

Olympe, Comtesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...