Tuesday, June 30, 2009

May 22, 1779


Am very tired and must rest soon, but before I do a little note to say that today I walked to the cemetery, which, like most cemeteries, says so much about a town. The most recent burial was an infant daughter, which is very sad; but the sun being warm and the sky so blue it was hard to stay sad for long.

Arrived home to find a letter from my steward saying that the crops are not growing as well as they should, our taxes are due to be collected soon, and it will take more money than we thought to bring about the re-acquisition. This coupled with some personal annoyance towards my fellow guests makes me want to return home all the more.

Another visit to the theatre tonight, but did not join the others for a late supper afterwards. Retired to my room and had a tray brought in. Am trying to make the numbers work in my favor, but I wonder if they ever will. Perhaps the re-acquisition was a bad idea.

Olympe, Comtesse


No comments:

Post a Comment

For Your Chateau

  With another successful Fetes Galante complete at the Chateau de Versailles, I thought we'd have a Versailles-themed FYC. Enjoy this d...